- Four-Door Coupes
Best Four-Door Coupes of 2020
A contradiction on wheels, the 4-door coupe has confused many for a while. We often wonder whether this was just a marketing term that caught on or whether it’s truly different from the sedan it is usually based upon. The 4-door coupe often has a much lower roofline and significantly thinner B-pillars, so it sacrifices some headroom, but as a species, we’re known for doing odd things in the name of style.
With the word ‘coupe’ typically referring to two doors, it’s arbitrary to see vehicles marketed as coupes with 4 doors. It was Mercedes-Benz that started the odd combination over a decade ago, and many automakers soon followed suit. The luxury 4-seater coupe is now as popular as it's ever been in the USA, with manufacturers scrambling to produce the best each year.
What 4-door Coupes Are Available?
In a continuous battle to be superior to one another, luxury automakers have been at loggerheads since long before 2018 to produce the most superior 4-seater coupe. Here are a few of them:
- Mercedes-AMG: Nearing the top of the list, the CLA 45 is one of the best cars in this segment. It comes with a relatively affordable price and is packed with power and luxury. The slightly less expensive and powerful CLA 35 is also well worth considering.
- BMW: This automaker also has more than one product that ranks high on our list of the best four-seater coupes. One of the most expensive of the lot, the 8 Series Gran Coupe is a gentle giant compared to the M8 Gran Coupe that smashes out 600 horsepower.
- Audi: The four-ringed sportbacks on offer from Audi are all worth their hefty asking prices. Crisp and deluxe interiors paired with admirable power figures make an excellent recipe for some of the best 4-door coupe cars.
Common Specifications of 4-Seater Coupes
There are a few key elements unique to these types of vehicles, including:
- Engines - The driving forces behind these types of cars can vary greatly and power outputs in the segment range from 221 horsepower to maddening figures of up to 600 hp. Still, the power plant is always capable of a few thrills.
- Seating capacity - All of these cars seat a minimum of four people if their marketing is to be believed. But you’ll often find that the back is rather cramped, thanks to that sloped roofline we mentioned earlier.
- Size - None of these vehicles are small, but some, like the M8, lean over to the other side of the spectrum and are monstrously large.
- Pricing - It’ll prove to be quite the challenge to find affordable prices in this category, but some are more accessible than others. Pricing can range from $36k all the way to the other side of $143k. Essentially, they don’t share asking prices with the likes of a Bentley, but they aren’t cheap to buy.
What to Consider Before Buying
While there are a host of beautiful options currently for sale, you could also benefit from considering older models from 2018 and 2019 if you have a more restrictive budget. Here are some things to think about before spending, though:
- Appealing exterior style and shape
- Typically luxurious interiors
- Mostly powerful standard engines
- Sporty handling
- Status and bragging rights
- Sloped roofline means less interior space
- Expensive pricing
- Additional options come at a high price
What is the best four-door coupe currently?
Mercedes-Benz and BMW fight really hard to retain the title, but the better car will come down to personal preference. It’ll usually depend on whether you value power over luxury or vice versa.
Is it true that four-door coupes are less spacious in the rear?
Yes. That lower roofline really does cut in to quite a bit of headroom for your rearmost passengers, so a sedan would be the better choice if you regularly have people in the back of your car.