Characteristics of the Best SUVs for 5 Passengers
Since you can find a 5-seater in just about every subsegment, from economical mainstream brands to the top names in luxury, defining traits can vary significantly. That said, there are some things the best SUV for 5 passengers shouldn’t skimp on:
- Power: Though high levels of performance are possible in an SUV, they are not necessary. However, these cars are heavier than your run-of-the-mill sedan, so they do need more power. Turbocharged four-cylinder and V6 engines are common, balancing effortless driving with a certain degree of fuel economy that only reinforces the all-rounder strength of the segment.
- Practicality: The primary reason SUVs sell so well is their superior levels of practicality. A decent length and a raised height give them excellent cargo capacity. The top models, however, take a broader view and need to ensure that there is enough head- and legroom and that getting in and out of the car is easy. All of this needs ot be done without sacrificing on cargo space behind the back row.
- Comfort: Classic SUVs were rugged vehicles of adventure, but the modern breed is all about urban living, and this is where comfort is king. Even entry-level models have superior ride quality, but premium models turn it up to eleven and also do a much better job of dampening wind and road noise with their excellent build quality. High-quality materials and comfy seats are a must.
- Price and cost: Depending on the automaker and trim level, the price of a five-seater SUV can range from very reasonable to expensive as all heck. A subcompact crossover from Toyota can start at $20k, and while Infiniti is a relatively affordable premium brand, you can expect to pay upwards of $50k for its SUVs. These large vehicles are also heavier on fuel than a sedan or coupe.
What to Consider When Buying a 5-Seater SUV
Even the best 5-seater SUV may not be exactly what you’re looking for. That is to say, every car has its strengths and weaknesses. So, here are a few things to consider if you’re thinking of buying one of these SUVs.
- Good head- and legroom
- Very comfortable ride quality
- Commanding driving position
- Highly practical cabin and trunk
- Good safety ratings
- Sufficient tech to meet safety, convenience, and entertainment needs
- Larger models are unwieldy
- Inferior fuel economy
- Can get expensive
- Compact models may not offer the best back-row space
FAQs About SUVs With 5 Seats
What is the best five-seater SUV?
This all depends on how much you’re willing to spend. Some of the more premium models are objectively better, but looking at popularity and sales values, the Toyota RAV4 is easily one of the best 5-seat SUVs, offering great value for money.
Which SUV can fit the most people?
There are more than a few three-row SUVs out there that can seat as many as nine passengers across three rows. Even midsize SUVs may offer a 3rd-row of seating, and when this row is folded down, they make for some of the most accommodating 5-seaters with immense amounts of cargo capacity.
What is the biggest 5-passenger SUV?
The Cadillac Lyric is an electric SUV that impresses with not only its high levels of luxury and excellent fuel economy figures but also the fact that it is eminently spacious and comfortable. The Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe offer excellent accommodations, too.