- Cheapest Wagons
Cheapest Wagons of 2021
Finding the cheapest wagon may be a challenge, these days. Although station wagons are not overly popular in the USA, thanks to the rise of the crossover and SUV, a few manufacturers are holding on to the body style, offering luxury iterations, electric and hybrid variants, and even performance-focused derivatives too. But, considering that it is mostly the premium automakers that are sticking with the body style, finding a cheap wagon doesn’t leave you with many options. However, value for money can sometimes be a bigger factor, and this is something the segment excels at. So, if you’re on a strict budget, there are some affordable cars available in this regard.
What Does It Take to Earn a Spot On Our List of Cheap Wagon Models?
These are the characteristics that define the cheap wagon models:
- Price: The most important quality buyers are looking for here is low pricing. Since station wagons are not traditionally light on fuel, getting the best deal upfront can be a deciding factor.
- Practicality: Extensive passenger and cargo spaces are what wagons are all about, so you can expect this at just about any price point.
- Reliability: A high dependability score is imperative for a cheap vehicle. If you are paying less upfront but more in the long run for maintenance, it defeats the whole point, which is why economy automakers ensure their cars stand the test of time well.
- Safety: Most modern cars come with a decent suite of safety features, but what’s important here is including all the basic desirables on even the lower trims, where value for money plays the biggest role.
Characteristics of An Affordable Station Wagon
Even the best affordable station wagon is going to have some downsides; that’s just the way things go. However, knowing where the strengths and weaknesses of the classification lie can help you make informed buying decisions.
- Excellent interior space
- High safety ratings
- Feels more like driving a car
- Ride comfort is a focus
- Reasonable pricing off the bat
- Good warranty coverage from most brands
- Not a lot of cheap options
- Longer bodies are harder to maneuver and park
- Often heavy and thirsty
- Less luxury in lower price range
What is the cheapest station wagon?
Currently, the most affordable station wagon in the USA is the Fiat 500L, though many buyers may not see it as a traditional wagon. The Subaru Outback fits the profile a bit better and only costs a few thousand more.
Do they still sell station wagons?
While the popularity of station wagons has declined significantly with the rise of the SUV and crossover, there are still a few automakers who have faith in the body style. These are generally the more luxury car makers such as Audi and Volvo, but there are a few budget brands, too.
What is the coolest station wagon?
Most modern wagons have tried to separate themselves from the chunky, sweaty, thirsty sardine cans that once carried families across America in the 1970s. Nevertheless, it can be difficult to make a car with such a reputation more attractive. The Subaru Outback is an affordable and decent-looking option, but the best lookers are at the upper end of the price bracket, like the Merc E63 and Volvo V60. Performance wagons are by far the best example of a ‘cool wagon’, however.
What is the most expensive station wagon?
To appreciate the good value brought to the table by Subaru and Buick, it helps to look at just how expensive station wagons can get. The Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo, for example, far exceeds the six-figure mark, with the Turbo S coming in just shy of $200k at $187,600.
What is the difference between an SUV and a station wagon?
Traditionally, station wagons are built on sedan platforms, while SUVs use platforms from trucks. However, crossovers also use sedan-based foundations and offer many of the same benefits as SUVs, though they sacrifice the ability to go off-road.