- Electric Sedans
Best Electric Sedans of 2020
Electric cars were nowhere near as mainstream just a few years ago as they are now, but the electric sedan, in particular, has become an increasingly popular choice for those who want to go green. Thanks to a rise in demand, we’ve got quite a few models to choose from. The best electric sedan is reliable, but won’t come cheap if you’re looking at any luxury brands. If you’re going to buy an EV at an affordable price, you’ll probably end up with a model from Honda or Toyota.
The sedan as an electric car will usually cost a bit more than its stablemates that are powered by gas-only engines. While this type of auto costs more, it’s a worthy investment. The green-conscious market is at the best it has ever been, and it only gets better from here. The market in general saw a noticeable increase in these types of products, proving that finding efficient alternatives are a mission that automakers take very seriously.
Some are available both in 2-door and 4-door guise, but it goes without saying which would be the better choice if you’re shopping with a family in mind. The four-door is far more practical, but if you’re not shopping for anyone other than yourself, seating for two is just fine.
What to consider before buying
These types of vehicles have a lot to offer in terms of efficiency and space, but they come with their downfalls:
- Extremely efficient - Forget about the weekly trips to the gas station, simply plug it in and leave it to charge. Power isn’t free, but it’s more affordable.
- Environmentally friendly - You’re not just saving money on running costs, you’re saving the earth while you’re at it. There has never been a better time to invest in a greener alternative than now, so an electric variant is an attractive proposition for many.
- Charging - For long-distance travel, there needs to be a stretch of readily available charging stations along the way. Depending on the outlet, charging can take as long as a full day, in certain cases, so you’ll need to plan carefully.
- They’re expensive - Yes, they cost more than non-electric options, but it’s also worth considering that they’re an investment when you look at the bigger picture. If a 2020 variant is just out of your budget, consider used options from 2017, 2018 or 2019.
The Best Full-Charge Ranges on Electric Sedan Cars
Currently at the forefront of the range-race, Tesla cars holds the highest mileage on a single charge in this segment:
- Tesla Model S - 375 miles
- Tesla Model 3 - 348 miles
- Porsche Taycan - 288 miles
Is an electric sedan really worth it?
If you’re buying one with the goal to run it to and from work and get going around the city, yes it is. The range offered by the typical vehicle in this segment is more than enough to manage some trips in and around town between charging. It becomes slightly more tedious if you’re planning on traveling lengthy distances regularly.
What is the most reliable EV sedan car?
Most of them are very reliable, but Tesla has the best reputation at the moment for creating solid models that last. Toyota has also been in the game for a few years, so they’ve mastered the art of reliability as well.
Is an electric sedan safer?
It is no safer than a gas-powered version, but lower flammability levels mean that the risk of fire is slightly less in the case of an accident.