- Electric Wagons
Best Electric Station Wagons of 2021
The idea of an electric station wagon is quite a peculiar mix of new and old ideas, as electrification is only just starting to take off, while station wagons are an older concept. Wagons were overtaken in popularity by minivans and, more recently, by SUVs and crossovers which continue to dominate the market. However, with the significant benefits to fuel economy and power that electrified cars enjoy, we may see more EV station wagon models hitting the market in the future.
What Is an EV Station Wagon?
These are the characteristics used to define the EV wagon:
- Powertrain: You can’t have an EV wagon without an electric powertrain, which comprises electric motors and high-capacity batteries. These potent, silent setups deliver excellent performance and fuel economy ratings. Getting to full charge does take much longer than refueling a gas tank, but the savings are worth it.
- Performance: Electric motors are known for their instantaneous kick, which is a defining quality of the EV class. These wagons are particularly enjoyable to drive, with rapid 0-60 mph times of under four seconds in some derivatives.
- Appearance: New electric vehicles tend to turn heads with their futuristic designs that buck traditional style trends - now combine that with the divisive wagon body style. Whether or not this is for the best will depend on the shopper, as taste is subjective.
- Pricing: The cost of EVs is still one of the biggest barriers buyers have to overcome. Especially in markets like the USA, where people want the most value for their money, it is hard to justify charging almost double what you’d pay for a gasoline variant of the same model.
What to Consider Before Buying an EV Wagon
Though we don’t have many examples to examine, electric vehicles have proven that the benefits of the technologies used do outweigh the disadvantages.
- Improved fuel-efficiency
- Strong, instantaneous power
- Quiet comfortable ride quality
- Excellent passenger and cargo capacity
- No emissions
- High price tags than gas-powered cars
- Not many options in the USA
- Limited all-electric range
- Longer recharging times than refueling
Are there any electric station wagons?
In the USA, the only EV station wagon for sale is the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo, also available as a Turbo model. In Europe, there is the MG5, but it likely won’t make the trip across the pond.
What is the most powerful station wagon?
When it comes to power and speed, the Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo is king. With 750 horsepower under the hood, or rather at the wheels where the motors are, it sprints from 0-60 mph in just 3.1 seconds.
What is the most expensive station wagon?
Unsurprisingly, the most potent EV wagon is also the priciest. The Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo will cost you a cool $187,600.
Will Tesla make a station wagon?
Tesla has toyed with the idea of a station wagon, having designed and sold a one-of-a-kind Tesla Model SB. However, there are no plans to create a product line using the body style.
What happened to station wagons?
With the rise of minivans in the 80s, station wagons decreased in popularity. This was exacerbated by the crossover and SUV wave in the last decade. With the stigma of station wagons being seen as old-fashioned, there hasn’t been much demand. But, with the advent of new technology such as electric power coupled with the attractive looks of a sports station wagon, we have high hopes for station wagons to make a comeback.
List of The Best Electric Station Wagons
Here is a list of the best electric station wagon models in our rankings: