Although Ford sedans have been largely discontinued in favor of crossovers and SUVs, many dealers will still provide a number of used models along with a few new ones, such as the Fusion is the only new Ford sedan currently on sale in 2020. The Blue Oval’s passenger cars have always been go-to daily runabouts for young adults and American families as their affordability, enjoyable drive dynamics, and competent levels of practicality have been traits they’ve carried over the years.
Ford Sedan Lineup
With a greater concentration on trucks and SUVs, the number of four-door sedans proffered by the manufacturer has dwindled. However, in the last few years, no fewer than four options were available:
- Ford Fiesta
- Ford Focus
- Ford Fusion
- Ford Taurus
Specifications and Pricing of Ford Sedan Models
|Ford Fiesta Sedan
||1.6-liter Inline-4 Gas
|Ford Focus Sedan
||2.0-liter Inline-4 Gas
||2.5-liter Inline-4 Gas
||3.5-liter V6 Gas
|Ford Fusion Hybrid
||2.0-liter Inline-4 Hybrid
|Ford Fusion Energi
||2.0-liter Inline-4 Plug-in Hybrid
List of Ford Sedan Advantages and Disadvantages
Though you’ll most likely be shopping the second-hand market for a Blue-Oval-badged three-box, there is a list of benefits and drawbacks to consider:
- Budget-friendly pricing - Ford's low asking prices helped form part of its brand identity as a provider of great value for money.
- Decent spread of features - The Blue Oval has always put forward a good array of options in trims, features, and customizations for all of its nameplates, affording buyers the benefit of choice.
- Athletic handling characteristics - Many of the manufacturer’s sedans were blessed with the underpinnings of their sportier hatchback counterparts, this made them almost as exciting to drive with only their larger dimensions slightly hindering dynamics.
- Decent gas mileage figures - Thanks to their lineup of fuel-efficient EcoBoost engines and lightweight body construction, these cars are some of the more economical vehicles out there. The Fusion, in this regard, is also available as a highly fuel-efficient hybrid and plug-in hybrid.
- Easy and convenient maintenance - While the American brand does still cover its latest vehicles with the typical warranty plans that come with these releases, spare parts for second-hand models are abundant in the USA and available at really affordable prices.
- Aging design and construction - Because of the rise in popularity for crossovers and SUV’s in the USA, many manufacturers slowly began implementing cost-saving strategies in their sedan offerings with a final goal of halting their production completely. Because of this, many of the familiar three-box offerings sport boring exterior designs, that wouldn’t have you look cool in pictures, and dated interiors in specific.
- Cramped rear seats and limited practicality - Alongside its many competitors, Ford’s 4-door models proved to be on the less commodious and practical side of things. Passengers would find that the rear seats never offered optimal levels of stretch-room, and found a relatively limited amount of cargo space in the trunks.
- Below-average reliability ratings - Unfortunately, with aging architectures and cost-saving strategies, some of the build quality is below par, and a number of recalls have affected these models in recent years.
- Subpar ride comfort - Because of the firmer than usual suspension setups that made the cars so engaging to ride, comfort and ride quality was sacrificed as a result.
For a clearer idea of what these three-box cars are all about, check out our images, videos, and reviews of the individual vehicles.
FAQs about Ford Sedan Cars
Which gas-powered Ford sedan is the most economical?
While mpg figures will vary between newer and older versions of specific models, in terms of the latest range of products, the 2019 Fiesta is the lightest sedan on fuel one could get their hands on. When equipped with the 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual gearbox, it returns EPA gas mileage estimates of 27/35/30 mpg city/highway/combined.
What’s the fastest Ford sedan from 0-60 mph?
Though the automaker’s more family-friendly rides aren’t particularly known for their speed, the performance-oriented Taurus SHO model is the fastest with a 0-60 mph sprint time of 5.2 seconds.
What is the most enjoyable Ford sedan to drive?
The 2020 Fusion is the most fun, and only, sedan from the brand to get behind the wheel of. While the Focus used to be a tad more entertaining, its production halted in 2018 already.