- Best Hardtop Convertibles
Best Hardtop Convertibles of 2020
The hardtop convertible offers the best of both worlds: you get that wind in your hair experience that is so loved by motoring enthusiasts, plus you own the security of a solid roof structure. Drop-top cars seem great in general, whether it is an American-made Mustang or Corvette, or something German such as a Mercedes-Benz. There are a ton of models on the market, so we are here to make choosing one a little easier.
What to Consider Before Buying
When purchasing a hardtop vehicle, it is important to look at more than just the appearance of the ride itself. One should always think of factors such as standard features, safety levels, and performance.
- Hardtop convertibles provide the security of an ordinary car
- New versions are just as fun to drive as their counterparts
- Removable hardtops on modern units have easy-to-use mechanisms
- Fold-down roofs may malfunction, leading to expensive repair bills
- Trunk area is sacrificed
- They carry extra weight due to the roof design
Characteristics of Hardtop Convertible Cars
Unlike soft-top roadsters, hardtops with retractable roofs have to haul lots of extra mechanical parts that raise and lower the roof. This adds weight to the overall package and changes things up, dynamically.
- Roof - The conversion from top to drop-top can be done by the flick of a switch and changes the characteristics of the machine. With the top up, the car should feel stiffer. This is a luxury no other car style offers.
- Sporty driving - The majority of these are exciting to pilot, and are sporty in nature.
- Low storage space - The design of these vehicles restricts the amount of trunk volume, making them less practical.
Best Hardtop Convertibles
Our roster has some of the most capable models available on the market today, with some standout names on the top hardtop convertibles list for 2020 being:
- BMW 4 Series Convertible - At the top of our catalog sits the BMW 4 Series, a car that is hard to beat when it comes to steering dynamics and good looks, especially with the roof down. In our reviews, we’ve found the best similar offerings from Audi and Lexus.
- Mercedes-AMG SL63 - This plush muscle man gets a folding top and tons of V8 power, which it sends to the rear wheels. This performance machine is the one to own in 2020.
- Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Not only is the SL range awesome from behind the wheel, but they are as safe as a Volvo thanks to some intricate safety elements. The SL is also one of the more luxurious hardtop convertibles out there.
- Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Forget about a Camaro or a Mini Cooper; if you’re looking for true joy, then you should think about the Wrangler. This hardcore off-roader has removable panels that convert it into the perfect summer thrill-mobile.
Should I buy new or used?
They tend to devalue faster after leaving the showroom floor, so you can actually save quite a bit by looking back a single year to a 2019 model.
Do I need to worry about reliability?
These rides are just as reliable as your average sedan, but when viewing used models, be sure to check thoroughly for abuse.
What happens if my roof gets stuck in the rain?
Hardtop convertibles with retractable covers have been known to malfunction, but there is usually an override function that allows the top to be folded manually. If that’s not an option, we would suggest speeding up.