Characteristics of Hybrid Trucks
The top hybrid trucks come in a variety of shapes and sizes; the common characteristics that make them what they are include:
- Power: Hybridized V6 and V8 engines can put out loads of horsepower and, more importantly, torque. This is good because already heavy-duty, full-size trucks are made even heavier by the addition of hybrid components. Since these vehicles are designed to do hard work, they can’t afford to be short on power when needed, especially when towing a ponderous trailer or hauling an overbearing load.
- Practicality: More than anything, a pickup truck needs to be able to get the job done. Whether this involves moving cargo or transporting a family, these hybrids are just as capable. Configurable cargo beds and passenger cabins determine these capabilities.
- Versatility: Another vital quality is the ability to go where other vehicles may not be able to while still being comfortable enough to function on the road. Regular AWD isn’t sufficient for this, which is why proper 4WD is readily available if not standard. Most such trucks can be lifted, too, and bigger wheels can be fitted depending on a buyer’s needs.
- Price: Trucks are not considered super affordable vehicles to run and maintain, and this is only worsened by their poor mpg returns. A hybrid pickup truck mitigates this to some extent, but a higher initial investment is required. Due to their ruggedness, pickup trucks retain their value for many years, so a used model is a good way to subvert the high cost of new hybrid trucks.
What to Consider When Buying a Hybrid Pickup Truck
There is no shortage of new or used pickup trucks for sale across the USA, so why should you consider a hybrid pickup truck over all the gasoline or diesel options? There are advantages and drawbacks to opting for a hybridized ute, and these include:
- Excellent power outputs
- Decent towing and hauling capacities
- On- and off-road capabilities
- Improved fuel economy
- Good stepping stone from gas to EV
- Heavier weight lowers maximum capacities
- More expensive to buy and maintain
- Few current options to choose from
What’s the best hybrid truck in the USA?
There aren’t many hybrid truck options in the United States, as most automakers have decided to take the leap and launch EVs instead. Still, the Ford Maverick is one of a handful of small trucks that offer a hybrid variant. The Ford F-150 and Toyota Tundra hybrids are also worth considering.
Are there any plug-in hybrid trucks?
While there are several mild-hybrid pickups and even a few EV options, there are still no PHEV truck models on the market.
Are there any midsize hybrid trucks?
The segment is sparse, with the Ford F-150 and Toyota Tundra as full-size offerings and the Ford Maverick on the small side.