- Best Luxury Hatchbacks
Best Luxury Hatchbacks of 2020
Just because the small 5-door segment focuses largely on affordable cars, that doesn’t mean you won’t find a luxury hatchback (or four) to choose from. Buyers searching for something a little more upscale need look no further as we have done the research and present you with a list of the top luxury hatchback cars for 2020.
We’ve done in-depth research on each car and even taken them for a spin, so we know exactly what it feels like to sit behind the wheel, fiddle with the infotainment, and swing them around a corner or two. We also compare each model with its rivals to give you the best idea of how it stands up to the competition in every regard. Each review comes with a list of specifications, pictures, and even a video or two to help you find the perfect hot hatch for you and the family.
What to Consider Before Buying
With the rise of the highly practical SUV, hatchbacks have lost some of their popularity in the USA. However, they still have a lot to offer.
- Even premium models are highly affordable
- Large, unobstructed trunk space
- Very fun to drive
- Extremely fuel-efficient
- Not as spacious or practical as a crossover
- Not as luxurious as a large sedan
- Small and short means poor visibility
The Best-looking Hatchbacks
While most 5-door vehicles are quite forgettable, the upscale options do a pretty good job of standing out.
- Mini Cooper - Available in either its standard configuration or the more sporty John Cooper Works, the Mini Cooper is definitely the go-to name in cool hatchbacks. The JCW comes standard with a 228-horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder engine that knows how to deliver a good time. Minis are also among the most unique-looking automobiles on the road, both inside and out.
- BMW i3 - Not to be outdone by its British sub-division, the Germans offer the all-electric i3 to buyers. Although not as easily identifiable as the Cooper, it is still a pretty cool little car. The electric motor develops up to 181 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque in the i3s, giving the small machine a fair amount of kick. The exterior is definitely BMW styling, although compressed for the compact body.
- Audi A3 Sportback e-Tron - While it is not technically a 2020 offering (discontinued in 2018), the e-Tron is definitely worth a mention, especially since it is set for a revival in 2021. Considering its age, the A3 still boasts an impressive list of standard features as well as an excellent B&O 3D sound system.
FAQs about premium 5-door vehicles
What is the best luxury hatchback?
For 2020, the top scorer on our list is the BMW i3. It is also the most expensive, with a starting price of about $45k, topping out anywhere in the region of $52k. However, its all-electric powertrain means it does not cost all that much to run, getting an impressive 124/102/113 MPGe across the city/highway/combined cycles. Comfort is paramount inside this top-tier car, despite its minimalist stylings. Vernasca leather is available along with a streamlined infotainment suite and a Harman Kardon sound system.
Are there any affordable premium sportbacks?
These compact automobiles are traditionally well-priced, so it is no surprise that the premium options do not actually cost a fortune. The standard Mini Cooper Hardtop is the cheapest at just over $23k new, but it gets pricey as you move up through the sub-trims. Alternatively, you could look at a used model from 2019 to save a few bucks. The now-discontinued Audi A3 e-Tron had a higher initial price tag, but it may be more affordable as a used car. Furthermore, with no hybrid options, the all-electric e-Tron or the pricier BMW i3 may cost you less in the long run.