Characteristics of the Best Luxury Midsize SUVs
What sets luxury midsize SUVs apart from their lesser kin - is it simply a matter of price or brand? Let’s break down the common traits of these beautiful bruisers:
- Premium cabins: Having an opulent interior bedecked with the finest materials is required, along with a serene and quiet cabin. Spending time in a top luxury midsize SUV should be a pleasant experience for everyone on board.
- Looks and style: To stand out from mainstream models, luxury midsizers should be striking, handsome, and bold. Halo models will have exterior styling that draws attention and identifies the premium designation.
- Under the hood: Potent powertrains ranging from gas to fully electric options are available, and they should be capable of decent performance. While sporty aspirations and fire-breathing engines do exist in the segment, you won’t find any underpowered power plants equipped.
- Size and handling: The perfect “in-between”, midsize crossovers have the benefit of being well-sized to accommodate passengers in comfort while avoiding ponderous proportions that make maneuvering around town a chore. Many will also feature adaptive air suspension or other tech to smooth out road bumps and ensure the utmost in comfort.
- Features and tech: Luxury midsize SUVs have access to the best in sound systems, comfort features, and driver assists. This includes items like heated and ventilated seats with massage function, large infotainment displays, quad-zone climate control, and cutting-edge features to prevent and mitigate collisions.
- Price: Since you’re getting the best materials, newest technology, and latest features, these cruisers will cost you a pretty penny. And with more of these equipped with fully electric power plants, upcoming luxury SUVs in this segment will likely be even more expensive.
What to Consider Before Buying Luxury Midsize SUVs
If you have your heart set on a luxury midsize SUV, be sure to consider all the advantages and disadvantages before forking over your hard-earned cash:
- Spacious accommodations for passengers
- Packed with driver assists, tech, and features, so expect excellent safety reviews
- Luxury midsize SUVs handle better in comparison to larger, more unwieldy SUVs
- Superb practicality, although you may need to fold down seats for the most cargo space
- Capable powertrains and comfortable suspensions for a smooth, effortless ride
- Beautiful design and on-road presence
- Middling fuel economy in comparison to smaller, lighter crossovers
- Premium cars don’t come cheap, so expect high price tags
- Less space for passengers than some full-size rivals with 3 rows
- No real off-roading ability in this segment, although pavement or broken road surfaces are easily handled
What is the most reliable luxury midsize SUV?
J.D. Power is the authority regarding reliability and dependability, and according to its latest consumer surveys, Lexus is responsible for the highest number of crossover SUVs with excellent ratings in this regard. The Porsche Macan, Buick Envision, Lincoln Corsair, and Lexus GX all feature in the rankings for most reliable SUVs for 2022, with the BMW X4 taking the top spot with an 89/100 score.
Which midsize SUV has the most luxurious interior?
Definitions of luxury are somewhat subjective, but some of the top competitors for the most opulent interior include the Genesis GV80, the Volvo XC90, and the Lincoln Aviator. You can also expect classy-yet-sporty cabins in the Aston Martin DBX, Mercedes GLE-Class, and Audi’s Q7.
Are there any American automakers in the top luxury midsize SUV rankings?
Lincoln, Buick, and even Cadillac feature In our rankings of the best luxury midsize SUVs. These homegrown automakers bring their best to the fray with the Nautilus, Enclave, and XT6, respectively. The Lincoln Aviator also ranks highly, another proudly American product.