- Luxury Wagons
Best Luxury Wagons of 2021
Though the station wagon body style may have lost some of its appeal in the USA over the past few decades, there are still a few automakers that are willing to stick with it in the hopes of a comeback. Of these, a fair number of luxury wagons remain, sporting gorgeous interiors, a plush ride, and all the bells and whistles available from the options list. Examples from the likes of Porsche, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi are on the menu - but at a cost.
Characteristics of The Best Luxury Wagons
These are the defining qualities of the best luxury wagons:
- Performance: While luxury may be the primary focus of these models, power comes with the territory. You need to be able to cash the checks that your face is writing, and a potent powertrain gets the job done. The only electric-hybrid wagon also falls into this category.
- Pedigree: The best luxury wagons all come from renowned automakers, like Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi, and Volvo. A good name is a promise that the vehicle you are getting is reliable and meets the highest quality standard.
- Appearance: Luxury cars score as well in looks as they do in every other area, after all, packaging matters. Sleek curves and imposing wheels are just the start, with brand-specific headlights and taillights rounding out the look. The interior is just as important, with high-quality materials playing a big part in creating the look and feel of luxury.
- Features: Considering how much premium vehicles cost, there is a certain expectation when it comes to the availability of tech. A comprehensive infotainment suite and a full array of advanced driver assists are a must, but comforts like heated seats and power-adjustable seats are commonplace, too.
- Price: When it comes to premium vehicles, affordable isn’t a word that usually applies. You pay for what you get, and if what you want is the best, you can expect it to cost you.
What To Consider Before Buying Luxury Stations Wagons
Luxury station wagons are a wonderful place to spend time, considering the body style lends itself to spacious comfort and refined ride quality. Since these brands pride themselves on being the best, the cars also boast incredible performance specifications, often comparing admirably with cars that earn top rankings in other segments. Here are some of the common characteristics of these expensive lux wagons.
- Modern, appealing aesthetics
- Refined powertrains
- Luxurious, high-tech interiors
- Plenty of passenger and cargo capacity
- Plush seating with high-quality materials
- Comfortable ride
- High pricing
- Limited options
- Crash tests are often not performed
What is the most powerful station wagon?
In terms of sheer performance figures, nothing beats the Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo. It’s a mouthful of a name, but it has a whopping 750 horsepower at its disposal with Launch Control, allowing it to dispatch with the 0-60 mph sprint in a mere 3.1 seconds. Since it is all-electric, it gets access to the full torque output of its electric motors from the moment you put your foot down.
What is the most expensive station wagon?
At over $187k, the Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo is the most expensive station wagon currently on the market.
What is the difference between an SUV and a station wagon?
Station wagons are more car-like in their construction, as they draw their foundation from the traditional sedan. SUVs, on the other hand, get their ruggedness and off-roading capabilities from pickup trucks, with which they share a platform.
What is the coolest station wagon?
Some people may argue that there is no such thing, but we vehemently disagree. Station wagons were in vogue for a long time for more than just their practicality, and modern automakers want to remind us that there is still such a thing as a stylish wagon. To find such a thing, you need look no further than the Mercedes-AMG E63, which backs up its good looks with genuine performance credentials.
Why did station wagons go out of style?
One of the main factors in the downfall of the station wagon was the rising price of gasoline in the 1980s. This was further exacerbated by the arrival of the more practical minivan and later the crossover SUV, which combined practicality with better fuel economy and affordability. With the move towards electrification, however, we may see a return of this once-beloved body style.
List of The Best Luxury Station Wagons
Here is a list of the best luxury station wagons in our rankings: