Pros and Cons of the Smallest Crossovers
Small SUVs with a third row have various strengths and weaknesses:
- Lots of room inside
- Comfortable cabins
- Top models have superb driving dynamics
- SUVs produced in 2020 have the latest equipment
- Compact back seat passenger room
- More compact cargo hold than bigger variants
- Increased weight over a normal sedan means higher fuel consumption
- Lack of personality
- Some might be closely priced to grander and more practical
Best Small SUVs with a Third Row
Kia Telluride - This compact 3-row SUV has proven to be a favorite amongst medium-sized households. The secret to its success lies in its returns for dollars spent and a good list of standard elements inside the cabin that also add to the security of occupants.
Mercedes-AMG GLB 35 - The US loves a fast utility vehicle, and the AMG GLB 35 is a compact derivative with seating for seven. This SUV packs a massive power punch when compared to most rivals, and is uber-luxurious to boot.
Volvo XC90 - You wouldn’t say that the XC90 looks like the smallest 3rd row suv, but it’s less bulky than you’d imagine. This Swedish beauty implements the latest tech to keep you away from harm, impressive powertrain options, and gorgeous interior and exterior look to form one of the best overall packages.
Hyundai Palisade - The Palisade shares its underpinnings with the Telluride from the rival Korean manufacturer, but at a lower cost, as it doesn’t share the exact specs, and is aimed at those who want the basics in a safe and practical package.
Toyota Highlander - The Toyota Highlander remains a favorite thanks to its solid reliability, hard-working nature, and value for money. As with the other cars in this comparison, the Highlander gets a bit tight in the rearmost seats, but overall payload is expansive for the total on your bill.
Advice for choosing the right SUV
- Features - When making any new purchase, it is essential to look at what you’re getting for your cash outlay. This class is big, with manufacturers constantly vying for the number one spot, so cars come with more standard equipment. Look for the offering that demonstrates the best return on investment.
- Trunk area - Small 7-seater SUVs provide more occupant leeway, but should also provide enough capacity to hold luggage, groceries and other necessary items for a medium-sized group.
- Third-row leeway - Purchasing a three-row vehicle is one thing, but if you’re serious about using the rearmost row, you should compare models to see which delivers the best comfort in terms of spaciousness.
- Performance - Carrying seven individuals and their stuff will test the pulling power of any machine, so it’s vital to consider is how the vehicle performs. If you’re going to ferry sizable groups on a regular basis, choose something with enough guts to do so comfortably.
- Safety - Transporting a number of folks in a vehicle means that protection levels need to be up to scratch. If you’re thinking of acquiring a compact three-row SUV, make sure that it scores proficiently in terms of crash ratings, and includes modern driver aids like forward collision warning.
FAQs About Midsize SUV cars
What is the most affordable, petite three-row SUV?
We believe that the Kia Telluride, a small 7-seater SUV, should be high up on your shortlist as a comprehensive, high-value offering for the US market. It delivers 291 horsepower, starts from $31,890, and should still be a solid bet in 2021.
What are some of the hazards of modest SUVs with three rows?
Some autos in the segment continue to underwhelm with mediocre quarters for travelers and lackluster performance from base engines. Always do your homework and compare choices available for the amount you are willing to pay, and investigate whats on your final list and whether its customizable with more impressive powertrains and add-ons.
Which three-row sports utility vehicle is the safest?
Keeping occupants free from danger is arguably the most important factor to look at when seeking a family vehicle. For that reason, we would recommend the Volvo XC90. This vehicle comes packed with all the latest driver assistance tech and is sure to keep you and your loved ones safe in the event of a serious accident. It maintains brilliant scores from the NHTSA and IIHS and was awarded Top Safety Pick from the latter in 2019.
Be sure to read our reviews and check out all the latest pictures and videos to keep you informed when selecting your next automobile.