- Sport Wagons
Best Sports Wagons of 2021
Fans of the station wagon don’t have quite as much choice in the USA as there is in Europe, but for those that do want to shop in the segment, there are some great sports wagons on the menu. The heavy body style needs a lot of power to get around, so many automakers just go the extra mile and throw super-powerful V6s and V8s under the hood. This results in some of the fastest and most enjoyable driver’s cars available, which just so happen to be highly practical and comfortable, too.
Characteristics of Performance Wagons
These characteristics are used to define the best performance wagon models:
- Performance: Naturally, performance wagons get some of the most potent engine options out there, with plenty of V6s and V8s to go around. This empowers them with frighteningly quick acceleration, especially when you consider how hefty these cars are. The addition of electric assistance is also becoming more popular, which will increase outputs even more.
- Dynamics: A fast wagon isn’t much fun if it doesn’t have the handling needed to take advantage of all that power. Each vehicle in this category knows how to take a corner, enjoying its weight rather than being hindered by it, thanks to a low center of gravity.
- Appearance: These wagons need to look fast, not just be it. Sleek and aggressive styling is a must, and this design philosophy extends to the cabin. Comfortable and reliable seating helps keep everyone in place around the bends and at higher speeds.
- Price: Speed has a cost, and while there are a few affordable, sprightly wagons out there, pricing is generally in the area of $50k plus. Wagons can be heavy on fuel, too, which is something to keep in mind.
What To Consider Before Buying a Sports Station Wagon
The best sports wagons generally come from luxury brands, which means they have some characteristics in common, for better or worse.
- Excellence performance
- Plush interiors
- Refined ride quality
- All-wheel drivetrains are common
- Plenty of passenger and cargo capacity
- Generally very expensive
- Heavy and thirsty
- Station wagons aren’t in vogue
FAQs About Go-Fast Wagons
Who makes the best sports wagon?
This is a charged question, and you will get a different answer depending on the fanboy you ask. Some great options include the Mercedes-AMG E63, Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo, Audi RS6 Avant, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, and Volvo V60 T8 Polestar.
What is the fastest station wagon in the world?
In terms of acceleration, the Porsche Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo can hit 60 mph in under three seconds, with the Sport Chrono package equipped. The Audi RS6 Avant and the Mercedes-AMG E63 S wagon both offer blistering acceleration, with the sprint to 60 mpg achieved in a smidge more than three seconds.
Are station wagons cool?
This will depend largely on who you ask, but gone are the days of the long, chunky station wagons we used to see on Dallas. Modern variants are sleek and stylish, and while they still err on the side of practicality, you may very well be the coolest dad in the school drop-off if you own a sports wagon.
Are there any hybrid or electric sports station wagons?
There are only a few hybrid and EV variants at present, but these include the Volvo V60 Recharge, which is a plug-in hybrid wagon with 415 horsepower and 494 lb-ft of torque from under the hood. The Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo is an all-electric wagon that makes up to 482 hp and479 lb-ft in 4S guise and can make the 0-60 mph dash in 3.9 seconds.
Can a sports wagon go off-road?
Station wagons are designed to be both comfortable and practical, and some automakers have taken it a step further with variants that have a raised ride height, all-wheel drive, and some body cladding. And, while these won’t be able to tackle truly rough terrain, they should do fine on those mild adventures. Sports wagons, by virtue of their nature, aesthetics, and design, are usually lower to the ground with extensive body kits to ramp up the aggressive look, none of which is conducive to off-road or rougher terrain.
List of The Best Sports Wagon Models
Here is a list of the best performance station wagons in our rankings: