- Best Turbocharged Hatchbacks
Best Turbocharged Hatchbacks of 2020
Turbo hatchbacks are the way to go in 2020. They typically offer punchy engines and better fuel economy than their naturally aspirated counterparts. The best performance-focused hatches often opt for this type of motor, and the Volkswagen Golf GTI sits right at the top of the list.
These cars owe their popularity in the US to the fact that they are an affordable entry point into the world of fun driving. One can imagine the attractiveness of this proposition for a young performance enthusiast, or even an older shopper that wants a taste of something new.
Specifications of Turbo Hatchback Cars
There are a variety of new turbo hatchback cars on the market but most share pretty similar characteristics. As much as each brand has its own recipe for success, the configurations of the top turbocharged hatchbacks usually go something like this:
- Power - The most common motor for hot hatches is a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-pot thanks to its impressive production figures. For example, certain models of the Hyundai Veloster N have 275 horses at their disposal.
- Fun - These pocket-rockets are not to be underestimated. Some even come with limited-slip differentials to deliver an impressively tight driving experience. The Honda Civic Type R is one of the quickest hatches for sale, reaching 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.4 seconds. Few other cars can offer similar speed for the same price.
- Economy - Snappy acceleration and decent handling don’t have to come with poor fuel economy figures. The combination of small motors and compact bodies means that the mpg figures stay decent - even the fastest sip lightly through the fun.
- Affordability - The good news about these vehicles is that they usually come cheap, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Whether you are shopping for a sport-focused option or a daily runabout, the cheapest products are sometimes the best in this segment.
These types of cars make use of the following fuel types:
- Premium Gasoline
What to Consider Before Buying
As popular as they are, these kinds of autos are by no means perfect. Still, you’ll likely find that the advantages outweigh the downsides:
- Good fuel efficiency from gas-fed engines
- Smaller body means better maneuverability
- Foldable seats for extra utility
- Sleeker exterior aesthetic
- Ideal for zipping around the city
- Good variety of hybrid options
- High-visibility cargo bay reduces security
- They can verge on unattractive styling and resemble SUVs
- Not as readily available as a sedan
What are some of the best hatches for the daily commute?
The Toyota Corolla hatchback is an excellent choice for everyday use. It offers futuristic and attractive styling as well as modern tech and comfort on the inside.
Are sedans a better choice?
For some, the sleek appearance and presumably bigger size is a big win. For others who don’t prioritize such things, a smaller car may be the smarter choice.