It's Now Cheaper Than Ever To Charge Your Electric Car

Electric Vehicles / Comments

And charging stations are also now easier to find.

The number of electric vehicles available on the market is expanding rapidly, with recent entrants like the 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Lucid Air, and soon-to-be-revealed 2022 Volkswagen ID.4. But this influx of new EV models will be rendered fruitless should owners find it too difficult to charge them. 80 percent of charging is done at home, but the issue of charging on the go is still a major hurdle when deciding to purchase an EV.

Tesla's Supercharger network has made Tesla ownership far easier, but Electrify America (a Volkswagen subsidiary) continues to open new charging stations across the country. Electrify America's charging network is growing by the day, and the company just announced new pricing that should give EV buyers a reason to smile.

Electrify America
Electrify America
Electrify America

Electrify America says its new pricing structure for charging gives users "consistent and transparent rates." The company eliminated all session fees, and the network now offers kilowatt-hour (kWh) pricing that varies by state. Charging by kilowatt-hour is similar to how a gas station charges by the gallon. Pricing varies depending on the location, but starts at around $0.31 per kilowatt-hour with DC fast charging. 78 percent of the company's charger will bill by the kilowatt-hour with the remaining 22 percent charging by the minute. Prices on those chargers start at just $0.12 per minute.

9 Lamborghinis That Time Forgot
9 Lamborghinis That Time Forgot
5 Best Truck Engines Of 2020
5 Best Truck Engines Of 2020
Electrify America
Electrify America
Electrify America

"Electrify America has listened to feedback from electric vehicle owners, potential customers, and longtime industry advocates. As a result, we have developed a new pricing structure that is fair, consistent, and recognizes the increasing customer demand for kilowatt-hour pricing," says Giovanni Palazzo, president, and chief executive officer of Electrify America. "With the new pricing, we deliver a simplified charging experience that shows new and existing customers how easy it is to own an EV."

With 470 charging stations containing more than 2,000 DC fast chargers, Electrify America makes it easier than ever to own an EV. By December 2021, the company says the network will nearly double to 800 charging station sites with about 3,500 chargers.

Electrify America
Electrify America

Join The Discussion

Gallery

8
Photos