The interior is completely toasted.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time a fire broke out in what was believed to be a perfectly fine Tesla. But what's different about this one when compared to others is that it spontaneously started behind the rear passenger seat.
The owner, @SparrowMarc on Twitter, posted a video of the fire's disturbing aftermath. He's claiming the fire began when the Defrost Car mode was activated on his Model 3. The good news is that no one was injured and the fire was somehow kept in check. It didn't engulf the entire vehicle. There's no doubt this is a scary incident and the owner understandably has lots of questions for Tesla.
Because Tesla does not have an official PR department, there's no way for us, or any other media outlet, to reach out for comment. It's fair to assume the owner has already made efforts to contact the carmaker. The proceeding Twitter comments are, as expected, very mixed. Some are accusing the owner, without firm evidence, of deliberate arson. A few others are more helpful in their assessment.
One user commented that the fire's apparent break-out location is exactly where the defroster wires join with the glass. There have supposedly been previous reports of those wires burning and cracking the rear glass, specifically on the Model 3. As far as we know, there's been no recall over the matter or technical service bulletin issued.
This owner does not appear to be the first to encounter issues with the defroster wiring but his car might be the first one that experienced a fire. Judging by the video clip, we highly doubt this Model 3 can be fully repaired. Tesla owes this guy and millions of other Model 3 owners answers. Every problem has a solution but until that problem is properly addressed and acknowledged, the Model 3 could possibly be considered something of a fire hazard. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) will no doubt want to learn more about this incident. We'll update this space if and when more information becomes available.