It could just be poor timing, but this looks damn bad regardless.
It was just about a week ago that we learned Maserati was issuing a recall for a small handful of GranTurismo and GranCabrio models. Only 33 total 2016 models were said to be caught in the recall, which was initiated due to fears that a leak in the fuel delivery line could lead to a fire. Now we have this: A Maserati GranTurismo that burned to a crisp in Adelaide, Australia, after its engine reportedly overheated. The owner claims he had only bought it six weeks ago. That doesn't sound good to us.
At the time of the recall no injuries or deaths had been reported, and that's the same in this instance as the driver and passenger both escaped unharmed. This may be an isolated incident unrelated to the recall as we don't yet know the year of this car. Or it may mean that more cars than originally thought were affected by the issue. Regardless, it looks damn bad for the automaker. Maybe they will replace his toasted GranTurismo with a new Quattroporte? Also, thanks to reader Ame Baron for letting us know about this story. If you have any story ideas you'd like to share with us please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.