Mastretta MXT Makes Production

Mastretta

The Mexican sportscar Mastretta MXT is set for production this year and should double output by 2012.

The Mastretta MXT, infamous for its (digital) appearance on a certain British automotive TV show, is finally scheduled for production. MXT, standing for Mastretta, Mexico and Transverse (engine mount), has stirred up its bit of controversy as of late, however the first production model is set to be delivered as soon as the end of this month. The MXT sports a turbocharged Ford Duratec 2.0-liter 4-cylinder transverse-mounted engine which packs 240hp and 184lb-ft of torque. The Mexican sportscar weighs in at just 1,984lbs.

The light weight is to due in part to its aluminum chassis. Prior to its debut at the 2008 British International Motor Show, founder/designer Daniel Mastretta said "We needed to create a great car because Mexico has no tradition of sophisticated sports car manufacturing. It is most important that our customers are delighted by the new MXT. That's what we aimed to do from the first drawing of the car, but we also want to make our country proud of the MXT and to show the world what we can do." Production quota is set for at least one hundred units by the end of 2011.

You Might Also Like
8 Unusual Materials Used In Car Exteriors
8 Unusual Materials Used In Car Exteriors
Will Mainstream Manufacturers Win The EV Wars?
Will Mainstream Manufacturers Win The EV Wars?

That figure is expected to double for 2012. 30 percent of production from their factory in Toluca, Mexico will be for domestic sales, while the remaining 70 percent will be exported. Pricing for the Mastretta MXT is around £33,000.

Jaguar XE 300 Sport And XE SV Project 8 Create Modern Art

Two vastly different sports sedans that share a common thread.

LEAKED: Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Revealed At Private Event

This is the first pic we have seen of the supercharged range-topper

All-New Revolutionary Mazda3 Teased Ahead Of LA Reveal

Along with its game-changing sparkless ignition engine.

WatchThe Extraordinary Nissan GT-R50 Being Built By Hand

It’s all about bending sheet metal the old-fashioned way.

Here's How Aerodynamics Make The Lamborghini Aventador SVJ So Much Faster

Take a behind the scenes look at this amazing system.

Fake Lamborghini Murcielago SV Reverse-Engineered By Iran

The Chinese couldn’t have done it better.

Hennessey Trackhawk Is World's Quickest SUV

That's what a thousand horsepower will do for ya.

5 Things You Need To Know About The 2019 BMW X5

After driving the car for the first time, here are our key takeaways.

Watch The BMW M2 Competition Lap The Ring In 7:52

That was supercar territory not long ago.

What's Hot