Nissan Killing Titan To Build Electric Frontier Pickup Truck

Trucks / 10 Comments

But the move could leave some buyers out in the cold.

Nissan is reportedly working on a new electrified midsize pickup truck to take the fight directly to the Rivian R1T and potential EV pickups in the segment from Ford, Toyota, and other automakers.

This news comes a few months after Nissan decided not to continue with the Titan. In June 2022, an inside source confirmed that Nissan's full-size truck is dead and will be phased out after the current model's lifecycle is complete. Nissan tried for many years but failed to steal market share from the Big Three.

According to Automotive News, Nissan now hopes to take a piece of the midsize EV pie away from its rivals.

Nissan
2022-2023 Nissan Frontier Forward Vision CarBuzz

"[Businesses] prefer to source their fleets from the same brand for maintenance reasons," said Nissan Dealer Advisory Board Chairman Tyler Slade. Slade disagrees with Nissan's plans to axe the Titan. According to Slade, the Titan needs to exist so that Nissan Frontier customers have somewhere to go if they need more capability. These full-size trucks also rake in a lot of money on the service and parts side.

Still, Slade admits that dealers are asking for a midsize electric pickup truck, so the demand is there. And there is a business case. "Trucks typically get the worst gas mileage," said Slade. "So, making them electric will reduce operating costs."

A recent study also confirmed that EV trucks have more range than over 75% of pickups need. The remaining 25% likely tow and haul long distances. As we now know, electric trucks are effectively useless when it comes to towing.

2022-2023 Nissan Frontier Rearward Vision CarBuzz

Interestingly, Nissan was technically the first mainstream manufacturer to introduce an electric pickup truck.

In the USA, we like to believe Rivian got there first, but the Dongfeng Nissan alliance introduced the Dongfeng Rich 6 EV in mid-2019. The Rich 6 was built on the previous-generation Frontier ladder frame chassis, the same used for the current third-generation model.

The Rich 6 remains impressive, considering how quickly the EV world moves. It weighs 4,370 pounds thanks to a relatively small 68 kWh battery pack. Its single EV motor produces 160 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, with a claimed range of 250 miles. Not bad, but that's according to the defunct NEDC cycle, which we know isn't accurate.

Dongfeng Nissan's Rich 6 proves the Frontier chassis has already been electrified before and that Nissan is not as far behind as everyone might think.

Dongfeng Nissan
Source Credits: Automotive News

Join The Discussion

Gallery

2022-2023 Nissan Frontier Rearward Vision
2022-2023 Nissan Frontier Forward Vision
4
Photos

Related Cars

Back
To Top