Non-Truck Owners Want The Ford Maverick

Trucks / Comments

The Blue Oval successfully taps a new segment.

Modern pickup trucks, even the "so-called midsize" options like the Ford Ranger, are pretty enormous. That's why a new compact pickup truck segment has recently emerged to offer buyers a more reasonably sized option. The 2022 Ford Maverick was clearly built for a different buyer than a Ranger or F-150, and the pre-orders prove it. Ford took more than 36,000 reservations after announcing the Maverick, and the folks over at the Maverick Chat forums compiled some interesting statistics about these future owners.

The forum posted a survey asking members to specify their location, trim level, engine, and exterior color. In addition, the questionnaire asked participants what vehicle they are replacing and if they've ever owned a truck before. The results are eye opening.

Driving Front Angle Ford
Side View Ford

Of the 119 members who responded (albeit a small sample size), 62% said they are switching to the Maverick from a non-truck, either a car or SUV. It found that 37% will replace a car, 25% will replace an SUV, and only 17% will replace a pickup truck. The other 21% are not replacing a vehicle. Of the respondents, 33% say they have never owned a truck in the past. These numbers prove that the Maverick is bringing new customers to Ford who may not have considered a pickup in the past. In fact, only 18% say they are trading in a Ford vehicle, meaning most are coming from a competing brand.

Driving Back View Ford
Aft View Ford
Open Trunk Ford
Best Car-Themed Watches On The Market
Best Car-Themed Watches On The Market
Greatest Mugen-Tuned Cars Ever Made
Greatest Mugen-Tuned Cars Ever Made

Since publishing those stats, a few more people have filled in information about their reservations. We counted a 36% take rate for the base 1.5-liter four-cylinder hybrid drivetrain with 191 horsepower and 155 lb-ft of torque. The remaining 64% opted for the larger 2.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder 250 hp and 277 lb-ft. Maverick production will reportedly begin in August at Ford's Hermosillo Mexico Assembly Plant. The trucks won't be built based on when the order was received but rather on parts availability and color.

Central Console Ford
First Row Ford
Source Credits: Maverick Chat forums

Join The Discussion

Gallery

Driving Front Angle
Side View
Driving Back View
Aft View
Central Console
7
Photos
Back
To Top