Popular Tags Cars

One Model Accounts For 85% Of US Wagon Sales

Video / Comments

The pie is small, but one automaker's eating almost all of it.

It should come as no surprise that wagons are a dying breed in America, their place (much like that of the minivan) increasingly being taken by crossover SUVs. Several automakers do still offer wagons in the US, though – but one model accounts for the vast majority of those few sales, leaving the others to fight over an even smaller slice of the pie.

That model, you might have guessed, is the Subaru Outback. As CNBC highlights in the video below, the Outback accounts for many times more sales in the US than all the other wagons on the market here combined.

Subaru
Subaru
You Might Also Like
The History Of The Original Mini Is Fascinating
The History Of The Original Mini Is Fascinating
Greatest 4-Cylinder Engines Of All Time
Greatest 4-Cylinder Engines Of All Time

In fact, while wagons account for just 1.4 percent of the US market for new automobiles, the Subaru Outback takes up 1.2 percent – not of that segment, but of the entire market. In other words, that one model makes up over 85 percent of all wagon sales in America, leaving less than 15 percent of that 1.4 percent (or just 0.21 percent of the overall market) for every other wagon offered here.

Little wonder, then, that Volkswagen, for example, is pulling its Golf SportWagen and Alltrack models from the US market, and BMW has withdrawn its 3 Series Touring wagon.

Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru

Still, some automakers are steadfastly clinging to the segment, especially at the higher ends of the market where wealthier customers remain dedicated to the body-style. Buick offers the Regal TourX, Mercedes the E-Class Estate, Jaguar the XF Sportbrake, and Volvo both the V60 and V90 wagons (in both standard and Cross Country variants). Porsche recently entered the segment with the Panamera Sport Turismo, and Audi (which currently offers the A4 Allroad here) will soon begin offering the A6 Allroad (again) along with the new RS6 Avant. So despite the small size of the market, the wagon faithful still have plenty to choose from – as long as they're willing to pay.

Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru
Subaru

Gallery

13
Photos