Porsche Confirms Electric Cayenne For Next Generation, And Multiple Plug-In Hybrids For 2024 Facelift

Luxury / 2 Comments

The incoming facelift will be the final ICE-powered Cayenne and the last time the Cayenne is Porsche's biggest SUV.

At the Porsche Annual Press Conference, Porsche provided insight into a few upcoming SUV models, detailing what to expect from the forthcoming 2024 Porsche Cayenne facelift and confirming further details about a larger, all-electric SUV positioned above the Cayenne in Porsche's lineup. Company executives also confirmed that the next-generation Cayenne will be electric.

We now know that the third-gen Cayenne's facelift is so substantial that it can qualify as an all-new car. How many facelifted cars ride on a new chassis? The refreshed Cayenne apparently does, and according to Porsche, it allowed the engineers to find a better balance between on-road performance, long-distance comfort, and off-road ability, the latter being a hallmark that made the original Cayenne so famous.


The biggest news is three plug-in hybrid models are incoming with longer electric-only ranges. There are currently two plug-in hybrid powertrains available for the Cayenne. The base PHEV is powered by the older 3.0-liter V6 engine mated to a hybrid-electric system. Porsche's halo PHEV uses the same format but replaces the V6 with a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8. Both cars are equipped with a 14.1 kWh battery pack, providing an all-electric range of between 15 to 17 miles.

Porsche will likely retain the V8 but eliminate the older Audi-sourced 3.0-liter V6. The German brand's other PHEVs have already switched to the more charismatic 2.9-liter twin-turbocharged V6. That leaves one spot open, and we can only speculate. Perhaps Porsche will make the Cayenne Turbo GT even faster by adding some electricity.


As for range, Porsche will likely update the hybrid components and equip the Cayenne with a larger battery pack. Since it rides on a new chassis, there must be enough room for a larger pack. Land Rover's new Range Rover Sport can do nearly 50 miles on battery power alone, and Porsche knows it has to beat that figure.

Porsche's CEO, Oliver Blume, also confirmed that the third-generation Cayenne would be the last ICE-powered model. An all-electric Macan will be available to customers in 2024, and the all-electric 718 will follow in the middle of the decade. After that, the Cayenne EV will take over. Blume also reaffirmed that a new larger electric SUV would slot in above the Cayenne, and that it will be underpinned by the SSP Sport platform - a new VW group platform that Porsche is responsible for developing.

The bigger Cayenne will take a step towards next-gen autonomous driving, bold performance, and a new interior concept for the brand. However, despite its larger size than the Cayenne, it's likely to have a coupe-like roofline, as Porsche confirms it will retain the typical Porsche flyline - the term its designers give the sloping rear roofline.


This electric SUV trio will help Porsche attain an 80% electric product portfolio by 2030, with Porsche reaffirming this target once more.

But what about Porsche saving internal combustion with its new synthetic fuel venture? Porsche's goal has always been to produce 80% electric vehicles by 2030, with the remaining 20% powered by good old-fashioned internal combustion. The 911 likely will not go electric because the world will end, and Blume also revealed that the 718 will only be available as an EV in the medium term, which suggests Porsche's famous mid-engine models may also get an ICE engine of some kind.

Germany is currently holding up the EU's ban on CO2 emissions until a firm exemption is made for eFuels. Such an exemption would be crucial in securing Porsche's future as an ICE sports car manufacturer.

The importance of the Cayenne cannot be understated. In 2022, Porsche delivered 309,884 vehicles globally. Of those cars, 95,604 were Cayennes, and 86,724 were Macans. The Cayenne accounts for 30.85% of all Porsche sales, compared to the 911, which represents just 13% of sales.

Porsche obviously wants to get it right, and all signs indicate that it has.


Join The Discussion



Related Cars

To Top