GRC cancels races, folds-up operations as manufacturers defect to new Americas Rallycross series.
The rallycross series that saw Beetles, Fiestas, Civics, and WRX STIs do battle on pavement and dirt in America will fold-up shop and refund purchased tickets for its scheduled 2018 rounds. Red Bull Global Rallycross, which is operated by Alpha Group, notified Lancaster Speedway in New York that it was cancelling a round the series planned to hold there this year. "We received notification from the Red Bull Global Rallycross it was ceasing operations for the 2018 season effective immediately," the track wrote, according to Autosport.
The speedway told followers on Twitter that the series hoped to reorganize for 2019. GRC Supercar-class competitors began leaving the series last year, with some making the switch to a new Americas Rallycross backed by the FIA. It will be part of World RX and hold a total of four rounds for 2018. Currently, Red Bull GRC and Subaru are locked in a legal battle over its leaving the series. GRC alleges Subaru backed out of a binding commitment it had to compete in the series this year. Subaru denies this, stating it had no contract with GRC to participate for 2018.
After removing the 2018 schedule from its website, GRC brought down its entire website on Monday. GRC has seen numerous big names join it since it ran its inaugural championship in 2011. Tanner Foust was crowned champion for 2011 and 2012. Former Formula 1 racer Scott Speed has taken the driver's title for the last three years at the wheel of a Volkswagen Beetle. Autosport reports the news of GRC's demise does not impact a planned launch of GRC Europe for 2019. That series will be run by a separate entity, it said