Last month's motorbike accident was worse than we thought.
A few weeks ago we found out Richard Hammond was involved in a motorcycle accident while filming a segment for The Grand Tour in Mozambique. Within the 24 hours, the Hamster proclaimed he’s "not dead" following him losing his balance while stepping off the bike, and hitting his head. Fortunately, his injuries are minor, but the incident itself painfully reminded him and his family about the far more serious accident 11 years ago when filming a Top Gear segment in a jet-powered car. He nearly died following that 288 mph crash.
That all said, Hammond has just announced, with his wife and children by his side, that he’s taking an indefinite break from The Grand Tour, which is currently filming its second season. Former Top Gear host, Chris Evans, has been chosen to take his place. Yes, really. Jeremy Clarkson and James May were both personally involved in Evans’ selection, despite the fact that he was, for only one season, one of their successors on Top Gear. Apparently there’s no hard feelings because Evans will join Jezza and Captain Slow immediately and complete next season’s filming schedule for Hammond, who wants to depart immediately.
“I wish our Hamster only the very best during this tough time. Hopefully he’ll rejoin myself and James whenever he feels he’s ready.” Chris Evans echoed that. “As a personal friend of Richard’s, I understand what he’s going through and I can only promise his fans and those of The Grand Tour that I’ll give it my absolute best.” Amazon Prime says that Evans’ deal has been signed and agreed upon as of today, April 1.