Smoke Grenades And Paint Best Explain The Aero On The Acura NSX

Video

For starters, it just all looks damn cool.

Say what you will about the exterior styling of the second generation Acura NSX, but what can’t be denied is its brilliant aerodynamics. This thing was designed to go fast with the least amount of interference from the wind as possible. To prove this, Engineering Explained teamed up with Acura - and with a little help from smoke grenades and paint. Here’s how what Acura calls “Total Airflow Management” basically works: First, there’s cooling, consisting of air flowing directly through the car, as well as 10 heat exchangers.

Next, thanks to a flat underbody and rear diffuser, downforce is dramatically improved. Lastly, drag is manipulated thanks to an aerodynamic body. This is best demonstrated with flow-visualization paint, the same stuff used in Formula 1 to also test aerodynamics.

You Might Also Like
10 Craziest Drag Races Of The Month: July 2018 Edition
10 Craziest Drag Races Of The Month: July 2018 Edition
8 Sports Cars With Three-Cylinder Engines
8 Sports Cars With Three-Cylinder Engines

And then there are smoke grenades which, aside from looking cool, clearly show just how brilliantly the NSX slices through wind. What we found to be particularly interesting is that most of the NSX’s downforce is created on the rear decklid. In fact, 75 percent of downforce is in the rear while the remaining 25 percent is up front. But we’ll let Jason explain because, well, it’s what he does best.

Ford Mustang Splits In Half In Illegal Street Race

This is the best example of dumb luck you'll ever see.

The World's Weirdest Wheel Designs

Sometimes the most basic customization tool goes drastically wrong...

Jaguar XE 300 Sport And XE SV Project 8 Create Modern Art

Two vastly different sports sedans that share a common thread.

LEAKED: Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Revealed At Private Event

This is the first pic we have seen of the supercharged range-topper

All-New Revolutionary Mazda3 Teased Ahead Of LA Reveal

Along with its game-changing sparkless ignition engine.

WatchThe Extraordinary Nissan GT-R50 Being Built By Hand

It’s all about bending sheet metal the old-fashioned way.

Here's How Aerodynamics Make The Lamborghini Aventador SVJ So Much Faster

Take a behind the scenes look at this amazing system.

Fake Lamborghini Murcielago SV Reverse-Engineered By Iran

The Chinese couldn’t have done it better.

Hennessey Trackhawk Is World's Quickest SUV

That's what a thousand horsepower will do for ya.

What's Hot

Related Cars

Starting MSRP
$156,000

Related Reviews

2017 Acura NSX Review
Acura NSX Coupe
0
2017 Acura NSX Review