A home restoration project goes terribly wrong.
This is not the situation anyone restoring an old car wants to find themselves in. According to NBC 2 News affiliate in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, William Harrington was working in his garage on his beloved 1994 Chevrolet Corvette as part of a multi-year restoration project when the disaster struck.
While performing a compression check this past Monday, he suddenly heard a loud bang followed by smoke coming from the car's hood. Harrington quickly sprang into action by pushing the C4 Vette backward out of the garage in order to prevent the fire from spreading to his house.
His frustration must have peaked when he realized there were other cars parked in the driveway blocking him. He raced back and forth to get those cars out of the way and get the Vette as far down the driveway as possible. It was obvious time was not on his side. The good news is that he managed to get the Corvette where it needed to be. The bad news?
It was engulfed in flames by the time the local fire department arrived. There was nothing they could do to save it; they could only put out the flames. Harrington suffered very minor injuries during the ordeal, but that pales in comparison to what he's lost.
"It's like, part of my family," he said. "Ain't nothing really worth anything on it. It's all burnt." He bought the car two years ago and spent around $20,000 in restoration costs. The report didn't say whether the car was insured, but we're hoping it was. Fire officials noted Harrington was fortunate the windy conditions didn't spread the fire to the heavy brush surrounding his house and the rest of the neighborhood. That would have been a complete disaster.
Still, the loss of a beloved car in the midst of a pricey restoration is something we wouldn't want to imagine. Fortunately, there's no shortage of C4 Corvettes out there needing a new lease on life.