The electric sedan reignited after the initial fire was extinguished.
Tesla is investigating why a Model S mysteriously burst into flames for no apparent reason after being towed to a garage. According to KPIX, the owner's Model S suffered a flat tire in the San Francisco Bay area. The electric sedan was then towed to a local repair shop.
However, around five to ten minutes after the tow truck dropped the car off, smoke was seen coming from the electric sedan. It didn't take long before the Tesla became engulfed by flames. Santa Clara County fire crews arrived on the scene, but it was too late to save the burning car as the front had already been destroyed.
"The vehicle started off-gassing, making a loud hissing noise and producing some additional smoke. That's an indication that there's some type of combustion process happening in the batteries," Santa Clara County Fire Captain Bill Murphy said. Luckily, there were no injuries, but the cause of the blaze is still a mystery. Fire officials confirmed the Model S wasn't involved in a collision and wasn't being worked on at the time of the blaze.
The fire was extinguished shortly after authorities arrived on the scene, but the batteries continued to burn. Fire crews thought the Tesla's battery pack had cooled sufficiently and started to move the car after the initial fire when a second fire erupted.
This certainly raises some safety concerns, as this isn't the first time a Model S has unexpectedly caught on fire. "We are currently investigating the matter and are in touch with local first responders," Tesla said in a statement. "We are glad to hear that everyone is safe."