But it's not all doom and gloom.
An unusual event occurred last week at Ford's Flat Rock Assembly plant in Detroit, Michigan. This isn't just any facility; it's the home of the world-famous Ford Mustang. Unfortunately, it had to be shut down for several days not because of a lack of semiconductor chips but because of a gas leak.
This storage tank leak resulted in 1,400 gallons of gas spilling into the city's sewers, though city health and safety officials confirmed there was no threat of an explosion. But the hazardous benzene fumes caused the voluntary evacuation of 465 homes in the vicinity of the factory. Remaining at home was not advisable.
Ford hoped the factory itself would only be closed for the rest of the week, but now it's been confirmed not a single new Mustang will roll off the assembly line until September 20. This newly rescheduled opening date appears to have been made as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of employees and local residents.
In fact, Ford is providing those who left their homes with compensation packages that include things like gift cards to stores and restaurants. The Blue Oval has also placed them in area hotels all-expenses-paid. On top of that, it is reimbursing the local government with all costs accumulated during the emergency response.
An additional $1 million has been committed to the Flat Rock Community Fund to further benefit residents. The carmaker and city officials continue to monitor air quality in the area because, you know, breathing in possibly toxic fumes must be prevented at all costs. So far, there hasn't been any signs negligence played a role in the spill. Sometimes, bad and inconvenient things happen that weren't always preventable. This appears to be one of those cases.
But Ford is doing the right thing, without question. It is going above and beyond to make sure residents and its employees are safe and healthy. Taking responsibility for mistakes is always the first step in correcting them.